6.02.2007

Parade, 5/30/07

SpeakEasy Stage Company, Boston, MA
Seat: Front Row Center

I am a huge Jason Robert Brown fan, ever since I first heard the opening notes of "I'm Still Hurting" from The Last Five Years. Therefore, every time I see a production of his shows done around me, I jump at the chance to see. When SpeakEasy announced that they were producing the Boston professional premiere of Parade, Brown's epic musical about the Leo Frank murder trial, I instantly bought a ticket... and am immensely happy to have done so.

Rarely, in my years of attending theater, have I seen such an emotional piece. By the end of the first act alone, I was drained. The first act is an incredibly structured piece, moving briskly from exposition, to the murder, to the trial and conviction, all the while showing Frank is indeed human and that the entire trial was a set up. While the second act faltered a bit in its flow, it did not hinder the experience. In all, Parade is a wonderful show, with a top-notch score.

SpeakEasy's production is also top-notch, fitting such a wonderful show. I must begin with my commendation for the ensemble. The music direction perfectly utilized the vocal talents of the ensemble, something that often is lacking in big productions, unfortunately.

Without going into details on the entire cast, I must share the accolades of Brendan McNab (Leo Frank). I had seen Mr. McNab previously in Lyric's 1776 (Dr. Lymon Hall) and See What I Wanna See (The Janitor/A Priest), and was impressed with him in each, but nothing prepared me for his performance in Parade. Throughout the entire performance, I was impressed with McNab's awareness of everything was going on around and inside of him. There was not a moment where I did not see the inner struggle required for the role, something very difficult to master. I believe that people will be talking about McNab's wonderfully nuanced performance for quite a while in the Boston theatre circuit.

The production runs through June 16th, I strongly urge to you go and see it!

On another note, I must say that I am particularly impressed with SpeakEasy's recently announced 2007-2008 season: Zanna Don't!, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, 2007 Tony Nominated "The Little Dog Laughed", Terrance McNally's "Some Men" and the 2006 Tony Award Winner for Best Play "The History Boys". I will most certainly look into subscribing this season!

(In case you were wondering, yes, I have seen lots of theater since my last post, but haven't posted reviews - I'll keep up from now on!)

No comments: